Our Best Tips for Winter Tree Care
In the warmer months of the year, tending to our trees and our yard is top of mind. But what about in the winter? There are many trees in Minnesota that prefer to be trimmed in the winter. Oak trees and cedar trees are best trimmed in the late fall or early winter months. Needled evergreen trees such as firs, Douglas firs, and spruces should be pruned in late winter months. We’ve put together some of our best tips for winter tree care.
What are the benefits of tree trimming in early winter?
- Trimming trees in the winter months can help prevent diseases from spreading.
- Leaves are gone in the winter which makes broken branches more visible.
- Removing dead or weak branches can help avoid damage to your house or power lines during an ice storm or blizzard.
- Winter pruning can help promote growth come springtime.
- Tree service work in the winter creates less damage to your yard since the ground is frozen.
When is the best time of year for stump removals?
Do you have a tree stump in your yard that needs to go? Surprisingly enough, January is the best time for stump removals. Abandoned tree stumps can be a hazard to kids playing in the yard or to your lawn mower. Rotting tree stumps can attract pesky beetles, termites, and other insects. Our licensed arborists at Ivan’s Tree Service provide exceptional tree stump removal and stump grinding services. Serving the Twin Cities metro area and beyond, we can take care of that unsightly tree stump for you.
Proactively taking care of your trees in the winter can help set the stage for a beautiful backyard once the snow melts. When you’re ready to have your trees trimmed or stumps removed this winter, fill out our online contact form. Our tree service professionals are ready to discuss your next winter tree care project.